When moving house there are a number of difficult decisions you will have to make. What belongings you’re relocating? Which apartment to rent? If you’re going to be buying or renting? So, we thought that we’d make one of the hardest things to decide easy on you. Here is a bit of information on how to pick relocation companies in NYC and decide if movers are actually the perfect choice for you. At the end of this article, you’ll likely see that Capital City Movers are the best choice of local movers in NYC for your needs.
Before choosing a moving company in NYC for your relocation, see if you actually need movers at all
Moving in the USA is a frequent event. In fact, on a yearly basis, the number of people moving house is in the millions. So, here’s the main question: do you need a relocation company for your move? Most relocations can get expensive. And, sometimes a DIY is a good choice. Our question is regarding the amount of work you will need your New York relocation specialists to do and any services of the NY moving company you will be booking. If you’re relocating from a house, out of state, you may need to book a move with reliable long distance movers in NYC. However, if you’re just transferring from your college dorm to your first apartment, there may not be too much work involved. Then, it may be the best option to choose the ‘we pack and load and you drive’ service with one of the relocation companies in NYC. It will definitely be easier on your budget, while also professional transport-wise. Finally, a tip for a first-time mover: hiring reliable movers in New York is always a smart idea. And, we are going to give you a short guide on how you will be able to pick relocation companies in NYC safely and on a budget.
The best way to pick relocation companies in NYC is through recommendations
As all good things in life usually come through your mom and dad, moving companies are the same. We’d advise starting your search for good relocation companies in NYC through word-of-mouth. At least one of your friends and family members have surely recently moved house. Their recommendation will help you vet through the scams and low-quality companies without all the work on your part. The relocation companies in NYC your friends tell you about are certain to be reliable. Though, if none of your acquaintances have moved house recently, there are still a few ways to get recommendations. The first stop is the local realtor’s office. Every real estate agent has a few reliable Manhattan moving and storage companies to offer at any time. And, if you still haven’t got enough names for your list, there’s always the option of looking for a few companies online.
When you have a few NYC moving companies in mind, it’s time to do an initial screening
After you’ve gathered enough recommendations, you should have a short list of possible moving companies in NY you’re considering. Then, it’s time to narrow down your choices. Hence, you should carefully vet through these NYC movers to find reliable ones. Here are a few instructions to help you out:
- Your list of potential relocation companies in NYC should have at least three names
- Check if each of these moving companies have a proper license and insurance
- A license of a moving company can be checked online with the USDOT number
- Most reputable movers in New York will also have rich credentials to show you
- When preparing an NYC moving budget decide if you’ll be hiring a large or small company for your relocation
- Look at online reviews of these companies and be on the lookout for a large number of complaints
After you’ve done all of this, you should have the choice of relocation companies in NYC narrowed down to three or four companies for an in-house estimate.
An in-house estimate is essential to choosing the right moving company in NY for your relocation
Any moving company in New York which has successfully been in business for a while will offer to schedule an on-site immediately. Why is this important, you may ask? Well, in-house estimates are the most reliable ones. The representative of the moving company will be able to take a look at all of the belongings you’re moving themselves. They will also be able to take into account any small doorways, stairs or other access issues. So, the estimate you get at the end of an in-house is going to be accurate. The important thing to know about them is: you don’t have to book only one. In fact, it’s best to have at least three on-site estimates done. Then, you will know exactly why which would be the best one for your relocation. Don’t forget to ask for a breakdown of this price, as well as an NYC moving quote, which is binding.
Finally, keep an eye out for a few red flags in relocation companies in NYC
Unfortunately, moving company scams are fairly common in New York. So, it’s always important to keep an eye out for a few telltale red flags. Here is how you can tell apart a fraudulent moving company:
- If the movers don’t request an on-site estimate, they could be fraudulent
- The representative should ask plenty of questions during an estimate
- The representative should be able to answer all of your questions, especially those related to their company
- Beware of moving companies which ask for a large advance payment
- Take care when getting an estimate – make sure that you get a signed binding quote at the end of the visit. Otherwise, the movers can add additional charges to the price later on.
- The reliable relocation companies in NYC will be able to offer you plenty of references
- A good moving company in New York has more than a few years of experience