When you are moving house, you want to make sure that everything runs smoothly and that not many issues arise. A lot of people get moving services NYC to help them with the move and to get things done quicker. Sure, moving companies are meant to be helpful, professional and efficient, but that isn’t always the case. There are times when people hire the wrong company and end up regretting their choice. And, let’s face it, hiring the wrong people for the job can lead to even more problems and costs. So, when someone recommends movers to you, you should think about it before accepting their suggestion. Here is how to determine whether you should accept moving company referrals or not.
Do your own research before accepting moving company referrals
It’s always nice to get other people’s opinions and help, but sometimes you need to put some work in. Unfortunately, you can’t always trust everything you hear or read. It is, of course, helpful when people recommend a moving company to you, but you should double-check before hiring it. After all, there are many different Midtown movers to choose from and you want to make sure you’re hiring the right ones.
In order to avoid making a mistake when hiring a moving company, you need to do your own research. Put some time and effort into it, don’t just listen to someone else’s recommendation of a moving company. You can’t just take someone’s word for it and make your decision based on that. Although that would be easier. You need to make sure you’re hiring a company you can trust. Luckily, there are ways to make sure the referral you got for the movers is worth accepting.
What to do before accepting the referral
- Don’t just listen to one person’s opinion and experience. Ask around, search the web, inform yourself. The more information you have, the better your chances of hiring a reliable moving company are.
- Check the company’s license before accepting the referral for the movers. Every legitimate company must have a license.
- Every company must also get a USDOT number from the federal government. You can check a company’s number to make sure that it is trustworthy.
- Not only do you want to make sure a company is reliable and legitimate, but you also need to ensure that you can afford it. Check the prices of their services, ask for moving estimates and see if it can fit into your budget.
Once you make sure that everything about the company seems okay and that you won’t get scammed by hiring it, you can accept the recommendation. But, it’s always better to be safe than sorry, so don’t skip these steps.
Who to accept moving company referrals from
When we’re talking about getting good and reliable referrals to professional movers, we need to talk about the source of the referral. It’s important to keep in mind who referred you to the company at hand. After all, you can’t trust everyone.
- If a good, trustworthy friend refers you to a moving company, you can probably trust their judgment. And because you know the person well, you can ask them face-to-face and get more information. It’s best to ask them about their experience and why they decided to refer you to the movers.
- Just like good friends have your best interest at heart and want to help you out, your family members do too. If someone from your family decides to refer you to professional movers, they probably have a good reason to do so. In that case, you can proceed to ask for moving estimates NYC and do further research.
- In case some of your co-workers or neighbors know you’re moving away, they might want to help you out. So, if it’s them who have referred you to a company, you can consider accepting it.
All in all, the important thing is that you can talk to the person who referred you and find out their experience. They can give you a review of the company and answer all the questions you may have before deciding.
Avoid moving scams
When you’re choosing a moving company, you need to be careful if you want a safe relocation. The last thing you need in your life is getting scammed. So, before you make your final decision and hire movers to help you move out of NYC, you need to watch out for red flags.
- If the company charges by cubic foot and not by the pound, you should think twice before hiring them. When a company charges by pound, you can get an idea of the price. However, when they charge by the space your things take up, you can’t know that before they load the truck.
- A good moving company will send someone to visit your home to get an accurate moving quote. They will also perform a video survey and provide the moving estimates for free. A written estimate is required by federal law, so if they’re reluctant to do it, something smells fishy.
- In case they ask you to sign any blank or incomplete documents, run! You need to know what you’re signing.
- Moving prices vary from relocation to relocation, so don’t trust a company that offers you a guaranteed price. Prices depend on the weight of your things, as well as some other factors. So, there can’t be one fixed price for every move. Think about this before accepting the referral to a moving company.
These are some of the ways to ensure that you’ll be in good hands once you hire the company someone referred you to. It’s great to get recommendations, but it’s safer to do extra research before accepting moving company referrals. Once you know everything you need to know, you can accept the referral.