Moving to New York doesn’t come cheap. Whether you’re planning to move to NYC for the first time, or you plan to switch apartments in this city, make sure you plan the budget on time. The moving estimate NYC can vary, and they mainly depend on the type of your move. If you are moving locally in New York, you can save money during relocation by moving with the help of friends. On the other hand, if you plan to move the long distance to or from New York, you’ll need help from long-distance movers NYC.
Hiring a reliable moving company NYC is not an easy task. Luckily, if you know what to look for, you can avoid additional stress. A good moving company in New York should make time to listen to your wishes and help you plan the relocation process. Professional movers can help you cut the costs of NYC move and help you decide on the type of services you’ll need them for.
The first thing that crosses our minds is how to save money during the moving process. If you think that hiring a cheaper moving company will do it – you’re wrong. If you decide to accept the first low budget offer you see online, you might stumble upon unreliable movers. A fraudulent moving company will seem to be within your budget at first. But keep in mind that these companies usually hide some additional moving costs NYC. If the moving company you hire is not reliable, you will not know the final price of the move until it’s too late.
Decide on the type of moving service you need
Before you start making the budget for your move, make sure you have the idea of what you need. A moving company can offer various types of moving services NYC. Depending on the distance of your move, you can ask your movers for just the transportation of your belongings, or add other services to your costs.
For your local move, you can do packing and unpacking by yourself and hire movers just for the transportation. On the other hand, long-distance moving acquires taking care of your property during the long relocation trip. Some of the most common services that movers can offer are local and long-distance relocation, packing and unpacking. Besides, some companies offer to take special care while moving delicate items like antiques and pianos.
Depending on your needs, your moving estimate NYC can vary. Make sure you talk to the moving company on time. They can give you advice about the relocation process and help you make your moving estimate NYC.
Ask for the moving estimate NYC
Speaking of the costs of NYC move, you should ask your movers to make a moving estimate NYC. This part of planning the move is very important. Reliable New York City movers should come to your home and write down the overall number of things you possess.
When making the cost estimate, movers also consider the distance of your move and number of services you decide to pay for. For example, if you want the all-in-one package, you will most certainly get a deal from the company. Some companies offer various services for free if you hire them for moving, packing, unpacking and taking care of the entire relocation. There’s a chance they offer you cleaning your home and handyman services for free.
Make plans on time
When you begin making plans for moving estimate NYC, there are many websites that can help you organize. Try browsing the internet and you’ll find some useful tips on how to prepare a moving planner. Writing down all the chores you have to do and the timeline of the moving process is very important. Take a look at some of the tasks that should be on your list:
- The moving method you prefer. There is no one universal way to organize a move. Depending on the distance of your move and your own wishes, your movers will help you make the best plan for the moving process.
- Packing supplies you’ll need. Whether you’ll pack yourself or professionals will do it for you, you will need packing supplies. If you hire a moving company to do it, they will use the best professional packing supplies in NYC and save you the trouble of buying moving boxes.
- The cost of the transportation (or truck rental). The main cost of your move is definitely the transportation of your belongings. Ask your movers to make the moving estimate NYC of the transportation cost. In case you want to move locally, you can rent a truck and move entire home with help of your friends.
- Gathering all the documents for a long-distance move. This task applies to the long-distance relocation. If you’re moving cross state or internationally, make sure you gather all the necessary paperwork and read all the USA regulations.
- Taking care of the insurance. When negotiating with the moving company you hired, make sure you ask them about the insurance they offer. It’s important you know all the facts about the safety of your things before you sign the contract.
- Decluttering and cleaning your home
Types of services for your NYC move
If you want to find out all about the moving estimate NYC you should expect, the best way to do it is to ask the moving company. Professional movers’ job is to give you advice and try to make the best deal for the type of relocation you need. Here is the list of the most common services a moving company can offer:
- Local moving. For this type of relocation, a local NYC moving company can offer you just the transportation services or other services you desire.
- Long-distance moving is the main focus of every reliable moving company in NYC. If you need to move to another state or move to another continent, you’ll need professional help.
- Professional Packing. Many people choose professional packing service, especially if they’re moving long distance. Professional packing service in New York City can pack your belongings and guarantee that your belongings will be packed safely for the transportation. You can also avoid the stress of damaging and losing your items.
- Professional unpacking. No matter how excited you are about moving into your new home, unpacking can be stressful. If you possess some delicate pieces of furniture or have the piano to relocate, let professionals handle it with care.
- Commercial moving. If you own a business and want to relocate your office, New York commercial movers can take care of it. The cost of this service can vary and it depends on many factors.
- A storage unit is something many of us need after the move. If you have extra things you don’t want to move to your new home, your moving company can help you find a convenient storage unit in New York City near your home.
Calculate the cost of your move
Check the online cost calculator NYC. It’s not an easy job to calculate the exact cost of your move. Luckily, many moving companies offer a free estimate of the cost of your move. Before you hire movers to write a list of your belongings they need to move, you can try and make a rough estimate yourself.
Some of the moving company’s websites have an online calculator so you can have the idea of the moving estimate NYC. Keep in mind that this calculator will not show you the exact price of your move. In this calculator you should write some of the parameters you already know like:
- location of your current home
- location of your future home
- the size of your home
- type of housing you’re moving from/to
- the date of the move you prefer
Some of the online calculators will ask you to write down the number of rooms in your home. Others will ask if you’ll need an extra storage unit after the relocation. This type of an online calculator will help you make a bigger picture of what you’ll need for your moving process. After all, only professional movers can tell you the exact amount of money you’ll pay for the relocation.
Make a moving planner
In case you are moving for the first time, you should try to make a moving planner. It will help you organize and plan the moving estimate NYC. One way you can make a moving planner is to write down everything you know about your relocation so far. For example, if you know that you’re moving locally in New York, you know you’ll need to hire reliable local movers NYC. If you’re moving on the budget, you can decide on the timeline of your move and save some money. Moving during the winter season is always cheaper since movers don’t have that many clients during this part of the year.
If you’re not sure how to plan your relocation by yourself, you can either search the internet or ask your movers to help you. Keep in mind that there are many online blogs with tips and tricks for the moving and packing process. In the end, the best advice you can get is the one a moving company can give you. Once the movers come to your home and make the moving estimate NYC and the final cost of the move, you’ll know more about what you need. This will be the time you can decide on the overall budget and types of services you’ll need for your relocation.
Tips on how to save money
Besides many moving costs NYC that you have to plan, there are some things you can do to save money while moving. Besides packing and unpacking, you can find many DIY tutorials online about making the moving process easier.
- Save money on moving costs NYC by using old carton boxes. If you have boxes from your home appliances you can use them for packing. If you kept the original packaging of your fridge or your stove, you can use the Styrofoam pieces as a packing supply.
- Get rid of the unnecessary stuff. Before your relocation, you should make a list of all the things you don’t plan to move. Those things are usually clothes, old kitchen appliances, rugs and other. By sorting out your belongings you can save money on moving costs NYC, transportation and moving boxes.
- Make a garage sale. We all have the extra storage space in our home where we keep the unnecessary stuff. Don’t bother moving them to your new home. Instead, make a garage sale, sell things you don’t need online or give them away to the charity. It will save you time to pack and someone will be happy to have them.
- Plan the moving process during winter. Not everybody knows this, but moving during winter is much cheaper than moving during summer. Considering that many families and business owners take time off work during summer, that’s when moving companies have more clients. If you have time to plan the move, make sure you organize the relocation during winter. It will save you money and you’ll get the best deal from the moving company you hire.