The first piece of advice that I have is – don’t freak out. Moving is difficult as it is, I know. Moving with your family makes it no easier. However, moving your family to another state is an entirely different ballgame. Still, as I said, do not freak out, you’ll be fine. Difficult as it may seem, there are a few pointers I’ll share with you that should make it somewhat easier.
The two most ‘dangerous’ elements of this move will be maintaining logistics and managing your budget. Moving your family to another state with will inquire immense and timely planning. If you do this, and if you do it on time, you should be more than fine. Just remember – you can’t rush a move like this. I mean, you can, but if you do stuff is bound to go south.
Still, moving to a new place can be exciting as well when you have help from NYC movers. Try not to forget this. Moving, in general, doesn’t have to be a horrible experience. If you plan it right you might go through a very smooth and pleasant experience. Preparation is the key to victory, so make sure you do your research on trucks, storage as well as getting a feel for your new home location.
Moving your Family to Another State – Preparation
The moving motives can be endless, and at this point they are irrelevant. Why? Because, regardless of which state you are moving to, or why you are doing it – these pieces of advice are universal. Having this said, we strongly believe that preparation is key to this operation.
The most important thing is to start on time. Don’t wait until the last second to start planning the move. If you give yourself enough time for preparing for the move, moving your family to another state might actually be a breeze. The more time you spend preparing – the more things you can predict.
Start looking for your interstate moving companies NYC on time. Finding the right moving company is no easy task. There are numerous things to look at and consider. First, you need to interview at least a few different companies. Recieve some quotes and estimates from all of them, compare and decide. In order to be safe, make sure that the moving companies you are looking at all have insurance. Also, try to see first-hand the trucks and equipment they are using.
Most importantly, go to the internet and search various feedbacks moving companies have. This allows you to become your very own investigator, for nothing and nobody can hide on the internet. In this day and age, ignorance is a choice. Choose otherwise! This way, if you explore enough, you might learn how to avoid moving scams! These scams can be troublesome especially for a long distance move to a different state. They might overcharge you, they might steal your belongings or keep them hostage. So be careful!
Most importantly, problems with your moving company occur when you have to find one in the nick of time. If you take several months of research – the moving services you end up hiring will be just right!
Moving your family to another state will, also, inquire a lot of packing. Now, this section is under preparation for a good reason. If you decide to start packing a week before the move – you’re in trouble. However, if you start packing 3 months before the move you might do just fine. Several reasons for this:
- You won’t be packing under pressure.
- You won’t get overwhelmed with packing, meaning that you’ll have enough time to pack a little bit of something each day.
- Since you started on time, you’ll have enough time to label the boxes.
- Also, you’ll have enough time to repack – if necessary.
Packing is packing, and I am well aware that you can pack up in 3 days. Or less. This is no issue. What this advice is aiming at is to ensure that this project is a stress-free one. We are trying to make it as smooth as possible. This is why, if you start three months before the move, you’ll have time to pack the things you rarely use and then leave the most frequently used ones last.
Also, you will have time to empty out the fridge and the freezer and start eating all that food since it will be highly impractical to pack it for the road.
Moving With Kids
This is a doozy. Sometimes the kids will take the move like champs. Other times, they will express their high level of dissatisfaction. Which is ok. Kids, especially the younger ones, find moving to be quite stressful and you will have to have tons of understanding for them!
When moving your family to another state, and when you are moving with kids there are a few things you will want to do:
- Communicate. The kids listen and understand more than you can imagine. You need to communicate and explain the move to them well ahead of time. You don’t want any surprises. Give them enough time to accept the fact that you will be changing homes.
- If you have the chance – visit your new neighborhood with your kids before the move. Possibly take them to their future school. This will kind of eliminate the imagination factor and give them a preview of where they are going. Again, giving them enough time to prepare is key.
- Don’t show stress. Stay as positive as you can for the kids will reflect this emotion and state of mind.
- Have the kids participate. Enable ways they can help. Assign some responsibilities to them. They could be packing their rooms or doing some other simple tasks such as light cleaning. They will get distracted and, moreover, they will feel as if they are contributing.
- Ask them how they feel. Address their concerns and fears. Try to give comfort and explanations for whatever they may need.