If you are not a local, you might be thinking that nothing can be cheap in the Big Apple. Well, you would be wrong. It’s just a matter of how hard you are willing to look for those ideal affordable NYC movers and how much you really wish to save money. Just like all other metropolitan cities, New York is divided into larger parts of a whole, and each part differs from the other. One of those differences would also be prices of food, clothing, real estate, services etc. So if you are willing to do the research and go the extra NY mile, you’ll have no trouble finding the best movers in New York.
How to find the ideal affordable NYC movers
Moving to New York is never a bad idea – plenty of opportunities for everyone. However, one should never underestimate the expenses of life in the big city, and neither should you. This is why your search for that perfect NYC relocation expert should start well ahead of time (2-3 months), and why you need to do a budget check. It’s important to know the amount of money you have at your disposal given that it will define your view of what affordable NYC movers are. In addition to this, a budget and a good plan make the rest of your moving experience much easier and stress-free.
Potential issues with low-cost moving companies in New York
We all love to get a good deal and pay as minimum as possible for products and services. However, this is not always necessarily a good thing. And cheaper is not always better. Moving companies that underbid the competition don’t do so simply out of the goodness of their heart. This is why you need to consider certain scenarios:
- Potentially fraudulent or black-listed company. Most scam companies tend to lure customers in with low flat prices for their services and promises of good deals like nowhere else. So it is important that you always do a background check of any such companies. In case you need help with doing that, we can guide you through it.
- Gecko companies. NYC area is a tough and crowded market, so newly founded companies have issues getting through to customers. Unless they have a good start-up budget, most of them will look to win over customers with low prices. However, this is always a gamble since you can never be too sure of the quality which you can expect from this type of mover.
Creating a larger choice pool of affordable NYC movers
Looking at local nearby companies can be practical, but not always the best choice. In case that your list of potential/affordable NYC movers is too small, you need to consider options on how to expand your search range and thus the number of opportunities.
- Widening your search range to outer New York. Moving companies in Manhattan do not offer same prices as those in Brooklyn or Queens. So don’t be too lazy to search all over NYC and do a cross-comparison in prices and services offered. You might be able to find a more affordable NYC movers on the other side of town than the one right next to you.
- Boosting your investment amount. There are other ways to save money. Money which you can then invest into hiring a better moving company. After all, we are talking about moving your valuables here, so the priority should be on making sure that they are transported in the safest manner possible.
- DIY & de-clutter. Being that the aim is spending the least money possible on moving, you need to reduce expenses. How can one do this, you might wonder? Simple really – for starters, do your own packing and reduce costs of having someone else do it for you. This also gives you the chance to separate the items you no longer need and de-clutter. Another step you can take would be to handle part of the move by yourself – if you have a vehicle or have someone who has one, you can transport most of the boxes and possessions by yourself. This way you’ll need a minimum amount of moving services and thus will be able to choose from more reliable and professional companies.
Cheap and challenging vs. costly and simple relocation services – finding middle ground
It’s always hard on people to give money, no matter if we’re talking about 10 dollars or a hundred. We also tend to have different perspectives when it comes to purchasing products or services. You’ve got people that look to save wherever they can and don’t mind poor quality as long as the price is minimal. Then you have the complete opposite – people who are willing to cash out as much as possible, as long as they don’t have to put in any additional effort. Myself, I believe in being practical and smart – you should be willing to go the extra mile or pay extra if I you are certain that the product you are getting is worth it.
Balance is the key. You need to find that middle ground between quality and affordability when you are looking for those affordable NYC movers. If you can’t hire the best professional mover available, then settle for the next best thing, based on the budget you have at your disposal. But whatever you do, don’t simply go with the first cheap company you find. Remember, NYC is one large and deep pond of businesses – one can find anything if they just look hard enough.
Additional discounts you might be able to score from NY moving experts
- Ask the affordable NYC movers you contact for a free estimate if they offer discounts and what type. Some of them may just offer great deals.
- Long distance NY relocations are often discounted so there’s another option.
- When you negotiate the date and time for moving, agree that the movers do the move at their convenience – provided that they offer you a discount.
- Ask for a discount on the packing and moving material from the company you’re hiring.
- Secure part of your money back in case the movers are late on moving day.
- Bulk moves should be made cheaper and appealing after all. If you are moving a large house and/or long-distance, ask for a discount on the moving labor and transportation.
- If you ask for a number of services from a mover ask for a discount on one or more of them.
- In case you are not moving for the first time with a particular mover, ask for a discount as you are already a regular customer. Don’t hesitate to negotiate for lower prices as an established and reliable client.
- When the move is over, if you have missing or broken boxes contact the mover immediately and try to work it out with them. If they refuse to cooperate, explain to them that you can file a complaint against them.