Moving household is something that most of the people do several times, if not dozens of times in their lives. That is why it is important to try to make these occasions as stress-free as possible. There are a few things that most people tend to leave until the last minute that should really be done well on time. We are only humans so we tend to forget essential things. Especially when we find ourselves in stressful situations like moving household. Fail to complete an important task prior to moving day and you may easily end up losing time or money, or often both. Very soon you will know what not to forget to do when moving. So, remember to do all those things before it’s too late. Capital City Movers NYC have put together a handy checklist of things you need to do before moving to a new home NYC.
Essential things to do before moving day
As your moving day rapidly approaches, you may feel overwhelmed with tasks to complete. Maybe there is not enough time to do everything that you are supposed to. You’ll be searching for the moving company NYC, packing your belongings, scheduling your rental truck or dealing with the closing of a home. That’s why all the last-minute preparations associated with your move to New York City can easily slip your mind. A few weeks before moving day, you need to make sure you complete these important tasks:
1. Make a moving checklist
Time management is crucial to the success of every move, especially home move. If there’s no clear idea of what to do when moving to your new home NYC, it’s easy for people to get confused in the multitude of move-related tasks. Then, as a result of the unintentional mismanagement of time until moving day, you lose precious time. One of the worst-case scenarios when moving house is to not have enough time to get ready to move out. God forbid a moving company NYC has already been scheduled to arrive and you aren’t ready. So, what can you do to prevent such loss of time? Don’t forget to create a moving timeline with all the jobs you just must complete on time – systematically arranged, personalized and prioritized.
2. Clean your old home and make any repairs
Before leaving your old home, it’s polite to leave it in a spotless condition for the new owners. This is especially true if you are abandoning the home before you have sold it because you will want to make it attractive for prospective buyers. This includes detailed cleaning all of the bathrooms, light fixtures, floors, and appliances. If you have agreed to make any repairs to your home before the new owners move in, don’t forget to take care of it in the midst of all your moving chaos.
3. Decide where everything will go in your new home NYC
Before the NYC movers arrive, point out the rooms you will want your furniture placed in on moving day. This way, there will be no heavy lifting or rearrange for you later. Every piece will end up just where you want it. A simple way to do this is to choose a color for each room in your new home NYC, and place a coordinating colored tag on the piece of furniture. Remember to never use anything with a heavy adhesive to mark your furniture because it will leave behind an ugly residue.
4. Collect important documents and records
In the crazy busy pre-move period, when moving to a new home NYC, you shouldn’t forget to arrange the transfer of your school-aged child’s school records to the educational facility in New York. Also, request all medical records from your family physician. The same medical documents you will be asked to present in order to register with a new health care provider upon arrival. Take them with you while completing the household move. Find more useful NY moving expert tips and have a smooth relocation.
5. Change your address
It’s best to do this as early possible. That way you don’t have to rely on the new tenants of your old home to forward your mail. Notify the post office immediately of your new address in New York City and then contact businesses and government bodies individually and promptly to make sure your email is going to the correct place. Don’t forget to:
- update magazine or box-style subscriptions
- contact your car insurance and registration provider to change your address
- update your details on the electoral roll
- let your bank know you’ve moved
- update your details with all superannuation funds
6. Take with you only things that are useful
When moving, people often forget that it’s up to them to use smart techniques to bring down the moving costs. Why pay more when you can pay less, right? Take to your new home only the things that are really necessary and get rid of the rest. This can be an excellent chance to remove items nobody will ever need. Make a detailed inventory of your entire home and get rid of anything that stopped being useful a long time ago. Capital City Movers NYC will help you pack the things you decide to take to your new home NYC.
7. Prepare your appliances
If you’re planning on taking any of your appliances with you to your new home NYC (such as your refrigerator, washer, dryer, stove or dishwasher) there are certain steps you must take to prepare them for transport:
- Refrigerators and freezers must be completely emptied and cleaned to prevent the growth of mold and odors. Remove all racks and shelves from the interior. Unplug the unit and let it defrost at least 24 hours prior to moving day
- Washers and dryers must be disconnected, all hoses removed and placed inside the units. Make sure any gas connections are turned off before disconnecting the line
- Disconnect and drain the water lines from washers and ice-makers on refrigerators
- Make sure any electrical cords are taped securely to the back side of any appliance
- Dishwashers should be emptied and any racks removed and packed separately
- Stoves should be cleaned thoroughly and all racks should be removed and packed separately
Pay special attention to:
- Label all packed boxes
- Pack an essential, first night box
- Have a plan for children and pets for moving day
- Update friends and family with your new contact information
- Have your new home NYC professionally cleaned
- Have spare keys cut