One of the biggest benefits of using a self-storage possibility is using a storage unit during a different season. In case you are living in a smaller home or an apartment and every meter of the free space counts, renting a short term storage NYC can be a great idea. If you rent a storage unit, you will be able to protect your belongings and still have enough free space in your home. Your winter gear or holiday decorations will only take up space during the summer. On the other hand, your bicycle, barbeque grill, and summer clothes will need a place to stay during the cold weather. That is why storing in winter can be quite beneficial. Use our tips and trick and choose the perfect storing in winter solution.
Most common items we store during winter
Many of us use storage for storing in winter. As soon as the temperature drops, people are putting away summer belongings. In case you wish to save space during cold winter months, reliable moving company NYC can provide various storage possibilities for your belongings. Quality movers are there to give you advice on storing your items and provide all the important information you need. In some cases, you may decide to use storage only during the cold winter season. On the other hand, you may decide to keep a storage unit even longer and save space in your home all year long. If this is your main goal, consider the most common items we are storing in winter.
- Summer clothes – In case you are in desperate need of additional storage area in your home for your offseason clothing, a storage unit is a perfect solution.
- Outdoor furniture and grill – Keeping your outside furniture outdoors during cold winter months can cause damage to all of the pieces especially if made of wood. In case you need to store your patio furniture, storing in winter is a perfect solution.
- Lawn gear – If you are a kind of person who loves mowing the lawn and enjoying decorating the yard, you will need to find enough space for storing all of your items.
- Sports gear – Sports gear may take too much of your free space. Consider storing in winter your sporting equipment, your bicycle and all those beach items you enjoy until the summertime comes.
- Vehicles with small engines – Sometimes you will gain much space in your garage if you store your motorcycle or ATV in storage.
How to find the best winter storage possibilities?
Storing your belongings during any season can be quite helpful for gaining more space in your home. But when using storage during the winter, you need to make sure you choose a reliable storage option for your items. The storage company you choose should have the official license. On the other hand, you should check that the storage company you are considering has the latest security systems in place. Most storage companies offer different long term storage NYC options. Before you decide on the best option, you should consider the type of belongings you will be storing in winter. In case you are storing sensitive items that can damage due to a lower temperature, consider renting a climate-controlled storage unit. Items sensitive to climate changes may include:
- Electronic devices of any kind should be stored in a climate-controlled environment
- Items that use batteries to operate like cars, any type of small engines etc. shouldn’t be left in an outside unit when storing in winter.
- Items that use liquids of any kind may freeze due to low-temperature changes and damage with ease.
How to prepare your items for storage?
When storing in winter it is crucial you follow a few basic rules. If you choose to store your belongings in a storage unit provided by a moving company. Quality moving companies will give you important information and help you choose the best type of storage unit for your items. On the other hand, professional movers know the best way to pack your belongings for storing in winter. Professional movers usually can provide professional packing supplies for packing.
It is very important you prepare your items for storage. It is best if you store functioning items that work properly. Make sure to check and repair any items that may malfunction. If you do, you will avoid low temperatures to cause even more damage. If you repair all of the items before you put them in storage, you will be able to use them as soon as winter is gone.
Storing in winter – tips
When storing in winter, you will need to pack and protect your belongings. This task is quite demanding and you shouldn’t put it off. In case you need help packing specific and fragile items, consider hiring a quality packing service in your area. But before you pack and protect all of the items you wish to store, make sure that:
- Dry each item you pack. If you dry each item when storing in winter you will avoid water damage. In case any water freezes in a hose, it can unfreeze and cause damage to nearby items or the hose itself.
- Clean the items you pack – gardening tools, sports equipment or clothes should be completely clean before you pack them for storage. This way you will prevent corrosion and damage.
- Protect belongings you store outside and inside. Use furniture covers before packing and moving blankets when packing. This way your items will have an additional layer of protection from dust and dents when moved.
- Use shelves and wall holders to gain space. If storing in winter you may need additional space for storing your belongings. Consider using shelves to put smaller moving boxes and wall mounts to hand your bicycle.