|NYPD|Bored man|Calculator
|NYPD|Bored man|Calculator
Relocating to NYC
September 28, 2018

How to Register Your Out Of State Car in NYC

Get a free quote now!

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

Before you move your car to NYC you need to have it registered. Fines in NYC are big and you don't want to find yourself having to pay one. Talk with your interstate moving companies NYC to learn how fun it is to own a car in NYC. But, there are steps that you need to take in order to register your out of state car in NYC, and this is how to do it.


Unless you want to deal with NYPD you need to register your out of state car in NYC.

Steps to register your out of state car in NYC

Gettin your car registered is pretty straightforward. You just need to get the proper documentation and visit your local NY DMV office.

Present a New York State Insurance documentation

You cannot register or own a car in New York State without automobile liability insurance(Form FS-20). You also have to maintain it, since if you fail to do so the DMV will suspend both your registration and your license. There are different kinds of insurances you can for your car. But, all of them must remain in effect if your registration is going to be valid. This is also true even if someone else is using your car. Your insurance must be issued by the State of New York. It has to be certified by the New York Department of Financial services and have a certification from NY DMV. You cannot use insurance from a different state. You also have to use your own name to register your car and it has to remain registered in your name.

Fill out the Vehicle Registration/Title Application

The next step that you need to take is to fill out the Vehicle Registration/ Title Application (Form MV-82). You will need access to your personal information to do so. So, a good idea is to fill out the form at home and then bring it to DMV with the rest of the paperwork. Cut your time at the DMV to a minimum.

Bring a Vehicle Title

A Vehicle title is a legal form that states the ownership of the car. In order to register your out of state car in NYC, you need to prove that the car is yours. The document needs to have information that identifies the vehicle that you want to register. If you get a new car, the dealership that sold you the car will provide you with the Vehicle title. If you need to get a new Vehicle title (because yours is invalid for some reason) you need to submit the following documentation to the DMV:

  • Current Vehicle title or origin certificate.
  • DMV driver license or a DMV non-driver identification card
  • Car Bill of Sale
  • Proof of Valid Odometer Statement
  • Lien contract (if necessary)
  • Lease contract (if necessary)

Once you submit the documentation, the Vehicle Title will be mailed to the primary owner.

Bring the Claim for Sales Tax Exemption

If you purchased your car you can get tax exemptions since the tax paid on a purchase is sales tax and may be deductible. While you can deduct sales tax on your new car purchase, it might not be advisable to do so in NYC. In order to claim sales tax (Form DTF-803), you need to itemize deductions and sales tax deductions. Since the state income tax is higher than the added sales tax of your car it might not be smart to claim sales tax. If you do claim sales tax you cannot claim the standard deduction. Claiming sales tax exemption is like choosing the best long distance movers NYC. You need to be informed in order to do the right thing.


In order to save money on taxes, you need to do some calculations.

Pay the registration fees

There are numerous factors that affect the total price of registration fees:

  • The weight of the vehicle.
  • Type of license plate
  • Do you have a trade-in
  • Sales tax
  • Use tax (in some countries)

If this is your first time to register your out of state car in NYC you'll need to pay: $25 for plate fee, $50 title certificate fee, and the sales tax of your jurisdiction. A car with six or more cylinders or an electric car needs an extra $32.50 every 2 years for registration. You can check the exact amount you have to pay in NYC for car registration fees online.

How to deal with the DMV

Once you have your papers collected it is time to go to the DMV. And in order to have your sanity intact, you should heed our advice.

Get your paperwork right

Before you go to DMV, make sure that your paperwork is on point. There are different circumstances that might pop up and you need to be prepared for yours. A military person or a foreign person will need more paperwork than your average NYC resident to get their car registered. In order to register your out of state car in NYC, you need to be prepared.

Pick the proper timing

How much you have to wait in the DMV can usually depend upon when you get there. Pick the best timing in order to avoid big crowds. Most DMV's post on their website the best hours in which you can visit them. Avoid going there at the end of the month or at the beginning of the month. That is when the registrations expire, and most people usually wait until the last possible moment to deal with registration. Also, avoid going on Mondays or Fridays at the beginning of the week and the end of the week are usually the busiest periods in the DMV.

Bored man

Unless you have something to do, you might actually die of boredom.

Use your time wisely

Whether you like it or not, how much time you will spend at the DMV will most likely depend on luck. Therefore, it is a good idea to go there prepared for a long wait. If you are done in 15 minutes, great! But more often than not you are looking at hours of waiting. So make them count. Catch up on your podcast and talk to people about how is it like to own a car in NYC. Bring a book or your eReader and catch up on your favorite novel. Or, if possible, do some work while you are there.


Find us on Instagram

Instagram icon