Packing electronics can be tricky and time-consuming. Whether you are moving your home or your office space, this process can also get dangerous, if you don’t know what you’re doing. We made a short guide to help you pack and secure your sensitive inventory in the best way possible. From packing materials and handling wiring and smaller items to packing into moving boxes – take a look at how you can pack electrical equipment with ease.
Get your electrical equipment ready for packing
Before you pack electrical equipment, you must make sure it is ready for the safe move. The problem with packing this sort of inventory lies mostly in its nature. Since all of the electronics have cables or batteries, you will need to prepare those for packing, too.
During this process, your main focus should be on proper sorting out. Before you pack electrical equipment, you’ll have to get the right packing supplies, as well as other items for labeling the pieces. Here are some things you can do in order to prepare your electronics for the move:
- Take pictures. If you are moving from one home to another, the placement of your furniture pieces will be different for sure. This is why you should take pictures of where everything goes before the move. After disassembling your furniture and unplugging the cables, you’ll know how to put them back again with ease.
- Label your cables and other small electronic parts. During the move, it’s easy to lose some of the electronic pieces. Also, it’s way easier to connect the cables at your new home if you know where everything goes first. Small colored stickers or a labeling machine for your moving box should do the job.
- Find the right-sized boxes. In order to pack electrical equipment together, you will need to calculate the right number of cardboard boxes and find them in various sizes.
- Fold and sort out the cables. This will allow you to secure them for safe moving.
- Pack small batteries separately. If you have any other items that could be dangerous to move, make sure to isolate them from the rest of your inventory.
Packing materials you’ll need
Every packing process is different, so it’s very hard to decide on the right amount of packing supplies. However, before you pack electrical equipment, you will need to get different types of packing supplies. Here’s what you will most likely need:
- Packing tape – for wrapping cables and sealing the moving boxes.
- Cardboard boxes – preferably in various sizes.
- Plastic bins – for waterproofing the cables. You can contact a local plastic bin rental company and let them know what you need.
- Bubbly paper and packing peanuts – for packing smaller pieces together.
- Original packaging boxes for packing bigger electronics
- Styrofoam for securing the corners of electronics during the move.
- Adhesive tape and scissors
The most efficient ways to pack electrical equipment
Unlike furniture, books and clothes, packing electrical equipment can be somewhat dangerous. Since you will be dealing with electricity and wiring, here are some important steps you should take during the packing process.
Pack similar items together
Not only will this process simplify packing for you, but you will also find all the pieces after unpacking way easier. Make sure to tape cables and smaller parts together and pack them together.
Tape the cables
Before moving your electrical equipment, it’s important to secure all wiring. If you have to deal with a large number of cables, you can always call a professional electrician to help. Taping the cables together will help you match them after moving in and connect them with ease.
Give yourself time to pack and stay safe
Don’t forget to stay safe during the move! In order to pack electrical equipment safely, you’ll need to make sure that you have a clear space to work in. The best thing to do would be to pack everything else before you pack electrical equipment. With this method of packing, you will avoid working in a mess made out of your household inventory. Clear out space around your computers so you can work with cables and electronics freely.
Call movers to transport your inventory
After you pack electrical equipment along with other inventory, you’ll need to make sure it arrives safely to a new destination. Whether you are moving your home or your company, hiring professional movers is something you should consider. In order to ease your Williamsburg moving process, your movers will pack, secure and transport your electrical equipment with ease. Some moving companies provide handyman services, which could be very helpful for packing electrical equipment.
If you choose to pay for a packing service, don’t forget to let your movers know how you want your electronics handled. It’s perfectly ok to let your movers if you want certain electronics packed together or the other way around.
Once your electrical equipment arrives safely to a new destination, you should plan the unpacking process. The first thing you should do is to decide on where to place your electronics in your room. Take a look at all the electrical inputs so you can calculate the wiring and what goes where. Don’t unpack the entire inventory at the same time – this might make confusion and unnecessary clutter.
In order to pack electrical equipment successfully, you will need to have a good plan. Make sure to give yourself enough time for this process, and if necessary, call a professional moving company to help.